Thursday, July 8, 2010

Acting Up!

All of high school and junior high I was in a performing group called Acting Up! Acting Up! was started by a very talented lady, Laurel, who I met in 2nd grade at my elementary school and she put on these shows at school that were amazing! I remember being in the audience of The Wizard of Oz (my brother Jason was the Lion) and just wanting to be up on that stage but you couldn't join the club until 4th! So I waited patiently until I was finally in 4th grade. My first show was Alice in Wonderland and I was a penguin. Random I know but if you knew me back then I was the shyest of shy girls. That show got me hooked on performing, even though all I did was walk around in a caucus race. The club soon evolved into a youth performing group that switched from the Scera to the Hale and then back to the Scera where it is now. While we were performing at the Hale, we did a show called Starmites. If you haven't heard of this show, it is quite the treat!! It has superheroes, princesses, divas, villans, banshees, etc. It was written in the 80s and if you are a fan of broadway musicals, this is definitely one to check out. The music is so clever and so fun to sing.You may be wondering why I am bringing up this one show. Well I am glad to announce that the Alumni of Acting Up! will be performing Starmites again!! And yes this means your truly will be in it again! I will be playing a banshee! Wahoo! I am not sure when we will perform it but it will most likely be before August 10th. We are just starting rehearsal and they are bringing back so many flashbacks! It is like I am 15 again! I love it. I have included a picture of the original cast, sorry the quality isn't the greatest- it was taken in 2002. I have also included one of the marvelous songs. It is called Reach Right Down and it makes me want to be part of a huge soul choir. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Sav Gardiner said...

i am SOOOOO depressed i am not around to do this show! i miss Acting Up sooo much!!!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Thats cute Sari!! I will keep my eye out for when it will be premiering in Aug!